Over the past week I have worked on a Remington 870 tactical model as part of my elective’s final assignment.
I chose this due to its usability in a current project of mine.
Low Poly Modelling
When I first started modelling this thing, I chose to block it out using primitives and modifiers to create the general shape, I was able to shape everything except the handle:
Next was to construct the handle which I used the oval-like shape of the primitives I constructed, extruding and shaping into the needed shape:
I continued, creating the trigger and other details:
Now became the most interesting part of the model, the hole it the side of the gun for shells to leave. I knew from previous models I worked on that 3ds max had the ability to do functions with 2 meshes where it may carve out a mesh using another, which got me:
This produced a mesh extremely quickly where I would have needed to spend a lot of time tediously moving vertices around to make them fit.
My final low poly version ended up looking like this:
High Poly Modelling
This took me awhile, most of it was filled tweaking and hacking at the topology to get what I needed. It turned out well as seen below:
All detail needed was produced, though when I tried to turn this into a normal map, I got too low of quality:
So I gave up and went to using smoothing groups which produced a better result, albeit, no detail.
UV Mapping was pretty straight forward, a few problems with the software itself than the process. The image is too obscure to view the lines so I wont post it.