Production process of “Pirate’s Gold”

In this blog, I will be talking about the process from beginning to end of my first 3D modelling assignment that included all stages of production.

About the assignment:

The first assignment for the 3D modelling module at my university required me to model a 3D chest (body and lid), texture it, and then place it into a scene full of supplied models to which I needed to animate and render. This is to give the students a glimpse at the stages of production in a practical matter as opposed to the theoretical knowledge they gained from researching.

Pre-production

This stage usually includes a lot of design work, but since this is the first assignment, they gave us a storyboard and brief to adhere to. The only thing we could design ourselves is any additions to the storyboard, giving us limited creative freedom to ensure we don’t go overboard with the project.

3D Modelling

This was where the work began. We only needed to produce 1 model for the project, giving the necessary time for beginners to complete a polished, topographically-correct low poly model. Through this model, I was able to learn some key skills when it comes to 3DS Max.

Capture.PNG

UV Mapping

This stage required a lot of time to complete as the arrangement needed to be redone repeatedly due to realisation of how certain arrangements can be done better for texturing.
UV.jpg

Texturing

This was a tedious task, but since I had limited time remaining, I decided to keep the majority of details out. I was left with something that resembled what others had created, though I still, relatively turned out well.
uvs.png

When applied to the chest mesh, this is what it looked like:Capture.PNG

Rendering

The final output was an AVI file as I encountered problems with rendering out stills for premiere. Rendering a project out to single AVI file is dangerous as large projects that take months to render can be wastes of time when it’s interrupted halfway through. This interruption leaves the creator with a corrupted AVI file which is useless. Rendering to stills solves this problem as an interruption will leave behind intact images up to when it stopped. Since my rendering took 10 minutes at most, I was okay getting around the problem with premiere by rendering it to a single video file.

Compositing

Compositing, at the most basic level was quite easy to do. I didn’t try anything anyone of advanced beginner knowledge would attempt, but I did craft a simple ending that worked well for what it was.

Video editing

Using Premier Pro, I was able to stitch together video and images as well as add in effects to make a video that isn’t constructed of only 1 thing. I chose to do this simple as I had 0 experience with the software.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s